Lice 101

What Are The Signs Of Lice?

Although the feeding bite of the louse is painless, its saliva can cause an allergic reaction in many people. There can be red marks and itching at the site of the bite.  Infestations may cause itching within 24/48 hours. Half of our customers with lice show no systems and never itch. Intense itching at the site of the bite compels a person to scratch, often breaking the skin.  Our HeadLice911 mint solution application not only suffocates the lice but it is also very soothing to the irritated scalp.

How Do I Clean My Home Or Classroom?

Despite what you may have heard or done in the past, cleaning your home or classroom need not be very difficult. Studies have shown that there is less than 2 percent chance of anyone getting lice from their environment.  This is because lice cannot live more than approximately 24/48 hours off the head.

We recommend:

  • Remove bed linens, towels and pajamas, and place in the dryer at a hot temperature for 30 minutes. DO NOT PUT IN THE WASHER UNTIL AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN IN THE DRYER
  • Lightly vacuum couches, carpets, and car seats and then go over them with a lint roller
  • Remove comforters or bedspreads from beds and throw into the dryer for 30 minutes on high heat. DO NOT PUT IN THE WASHER UNTIL AFTER THEY HAVE BEEN IN THE DRYER
  • If your child sleeps with a stuffed animal or blanket, place it in a hot dryer for 30 minutes.
  • Clean combs, brushes, and hair ties by placing in boiling water, or put in the freezer for 24 hours.

What Are Head Lice?

  • Head lice are tiny six-legged blood-sucking parasites. Each leg is equipped with a claw, enabling the lice to grasp onto the shaft of the hair. They can vary in color from grayish white to reddish brown.
  • The female louse lays her eggs by gluing them to your hair shafts. She will produce approximately 200 eggs in her lifetime. Eggs, or nits as they’re commonly called, generally hatch in 7 to 10 days. Once hatched, they have a life expectancy of approximately 30 days.
  • Lice are wingless and cannot jump or fly. They can, however, move with amazing speeds on the head.
  • They depend on human blood for survival. A louse separated from its human host will rarely survive more than 24 hours.

How Do We Get Head Lice?

In almost all cases, lice are transmitted from one human host to another, brought about mainly as a result of head-to-head contact.

Isn’t Head Lice A Sign Of Being Dirty?

Head lice actually prefer a clean head of hair. A louse’s only concern is for its own survival. To accomplish this, the louse needs to feed and is always looking for the most convenient means of doing so.  Lice are not picky when it comes time to find new breeding grounds.

What Do If I Do Find Head Lice?

If you find head lice on your child’s head, take care of the problem right away. Each day wasted is an increased opportunity for reproduction and the additional chances of spreading to others.

How Many Eggs Can A Head Louse Lay In A Day?

A single female louse lays eggs twice a day and four to five eggs each time. Multiply that by the 10, 20, even 40 or 60 bugs that might be on the head and it’s easy to see how a severe infestation can develop so quickly.

Lice Facts 101

The head louse is a tiny, wingless parasitic insect that lives among human hairs and feeds on tiny amounts of blood drawn from the scalp. While they are frustrating to deal with, lice aren’t dangerous. They don’t spread disease, although their bites can make a child’s scalp itchy and irritated, and scratching can lead to infection.

Lice eggs (called nits). These look like tiny yellow, tan, or brown dots before they hatch.  Lice lay nits on hair shafts close to the scalp, where the temperature is perfect for keeping warm until they hatch. Nits look sort of like dandruff, only they can’t be removed by brushing or shaking them off.

Unless the infestation is heavy, it’s more common to see nits in a child’s hair than it is to see live lice crawling on the scalp. Lice eggs hatch within 1 to 2 weeks after they are laid.  After hatching, the remaining shell looks white or clear and stays firmly attached to the hair shaft. This is when it’s easiest to spot them, as the hair is growing longer and the eggshell is moving away from the scalp.

Head lice are resistant to water and soap. Having head lice is not a question of hygiene.  They can infect anyone, whatever their background or personal hygiene.  Lice do not jump or fly, they just crawl. Lice have 6 legs with claws at the end designed to cling to the hair shaft. Lice can only live on your head, nowhere else; not even in facial hair. Lice cannot live on pets.  Lice do not burrow and they must be on a human head in order to survive.  Nits are harmless(not viable) once they are removed from the head.  Lice infestation is now second only to the common cold when it comes to conditions that affect elementary-school students in North America. The U.S. has 6 million to 12 million cases a year. Lice have become very common in the middle school/college age group in the past decade due to selfies and playing games or watching movies on small electronic devices.

How Do You Get Head Lice?

By far the most common way to get head lice is head to head contact with an infected person

  • Hugs where the heads touch can spread lice.
  • Children working together in small spaces where heads touch (Selfies are great for our business).
  • Cloth seats at home or in a theater or on a bus, train, or plane. Sharing clothes, hats, or hooded sweatshirts.
  • Lying on someone’s bed or pillow.
  • Sharing brushes or hair accessories.
  • Using someone’s towel. Sharing a batting or safety helmet.
  • Trying on clothes or hats in stores.

Why Should I Rely On HeadLice911 Treatment Center?

As studies have proven, relying on a professional treatment center is the most effective, safe way to ensure that your child will be lice free.  Many parents, desperate to get rid of lice crawling around in their child’s hair, will dash out to the pharmacy to buy Nix or Rid, the most widely sold lice-control products in an estimated $130 million over-the-counter market. The over-the-counter products are losing their fight against lice because studies suggest that most of the bugs in the U.S. have evolved to become genetically resistant to the insecticides found in those products. That includes pyrethrum in shampoos such as Rid and the permethrin in creme rinses such as Nix. In addition to being ineffective, they are also unsafe.

Pyrethroids (permethrin, pyrethrin, et al) are synthetic pesticides that can cause pneumonia, muscle paralysis, death due to respiratory failure, vomiting, and asthma, and are toxic to the thyroid and immune system. No safe exposure level has been established for avoiding adverse effects, nor has the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) set an exposure limit.

Why risk your child’s health for an ineffective result. We will handle everything for you until your family is completely lice free. All of our products are all natural and contain no pesticides. In the long run, it will be cheaper, faster and far more stress-free to come to us. We will see it through from start to finish and are always available to answer any questions or concerns so call today and take the first step toward getting back to a normal life.

2019-01-17T15:59:44+00:00
Instant $50 Savings until 02/28!
See Offer Details
close-image